Imagine if we all did only did 5 new things to live a more eco-life, and then imagine the difference it could make to the generation that we are bringing into the world now? Here are give suggestions to make your life more eco-friendly:
- Here’s an easy one for you - plastic nappy bags can take up to 1000 years to degrade so if you only do one thing, switch your nappy bags to 100% biodegradable ones – at €2.25 for 50 it’s not going to break the bank so it’s a no-brainer really.
- Switch to eco-friendly nappies – either modern reusable cloth nappies (which will also save you a fortune) or eco-disposables like Nature Babycare which are gentler on your babies skin and will biodegrade far more quickly in landfill than regular nappies and for only a few cents more than big brand names.
- Become informed about the ingredients in everyday products for parents and babies – search the ingredients list online and prepare to be shocked – don’t assume that because it’s a household name that the brand is healthy for you or the environment.
- Where possible, buy organic cotton clothing and bedding. It is more expensive but shop around – many high street stores (such as H&M) do great organic cotton kids range at great prices – its not just softer and better for sensitive skin and eczema sufferers but it also helps the eco-system by lessening mass pesticide and fertilizer spraying.
- Considering how much time we spend in our homes, it’s far safer to minimise toxic chemicals from ordinary cleaners, detergents, bleach, paint and sprays and replace them with more eco-friendly brands like ‘ecover’ or cheap natural alternatives. Do a search online for the handy household uses of bicarbonate of soda, vinegar, tea tree and lavender.
Hopefully this will give you some food for thought and inspire you to make your own list of 5 things that you could easily enough do today. Good luck on your eco-parenting journey.
This article was prepared by Earth Mother.
More information on Earth Mother:
Earthmother.ie was launched by Siobhan & Chris Elsom in 2010 following the births of their two precious little boys. They discovered a new passion for natural and environmentally friendly parenting since the arrival of their boys, brought with them a huge responsibility for the wellbeing of little people and their future.
In their quest for eco-parenting products, they found there was a real lack of quality products available locally to Irish customers at affordable prices, and so they became passionate about bringing Irish parents the best possible natural, organic care for their babies and families while helping everyone to tread lighter with their environmental footprint.
At Earthmother they endeavour to source all of their products from ethical businesses that produce natural, organic and sustainable products, ensuring a cleaner, greener world for their children and future generations. They have tried and tested many products as their family has grown and are delighted to be able to share the best and most trusted with you. Their mission is straightforward - to provide Irish parents and their children with the best natural eco-friendly products at the lowest possible price.