If you’ve heard of shawarma or döner kebab, Gyro is their Greek sibling. Only difference being the topping and sauces. They usually all have the meat of lamb/chicken or veal which has been roasted on a vertical rotisserie which is constantly rotating near heat. For this recipe, we are using chicken which is marinaded in a delicious sauce made using Knorr Vegetable Zero Salt Stock Cube. Make it now and keep the entire family smiling.
Chicken gyros with tzatziki & red cabbage
- Prep time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 90 mins
- Feeds: 4 people
- Difficulty: easy
- 50g water
- 1x Knorr Vegetable Zero Salt Stock Cube, crumbled
- ½ lemon, juice/zest
- 50g olive oil
- 200g Greek yogurt
- ½ tbsp garlic, minced
- ½ tbsp coriander powder
- ½ tbsp paprika powder
- ½ tbsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 800g chicken thighs, boneless & skinless
- 1x large onion, peeled and cut in half
- Tzatziki sauce
- 1x cucumber, shredded
- 250g Greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- ½ lemon, juice/zest
- 1 tbsp dill, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 8 x whole grain Greek pita breads or bread rolls
- 8g Parsley, finely chopped
- 200g orange tomato, sliced
- 100g red cabbage, finely sliced
- Boil the water and dissolve the Knorr Vegetable Zero Salt Stock Cube in there.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add the rest of the marinade ingredients and stir well.
- Preheat an oven to 200°C.
- On a cutting board, place a piece of plastic foil over the chicken thighs and pound until about 1 cm thick with a meat mallet, rolling pin or heavy pan.
- Combine the chicken thighs with the marinade, stirring well to coat, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
- Shred the cucumber, transfer to a medium bowl, combine the rest of the tzatziki ingredients and stir well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- On a baking sheet or a large cast-iron skillet, use the halved onions as a base and position the skewer vertically like a spit.
- Skewer the chicken thighs individually, rotating each one 90 degrees.
- Bake for 1 hour, until totally cooked (if you
- have a core thermometer until it reaches 75°C in the middle).
- Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Carve off thin slices of chicken, together with the onion underneath to fill a pita or bread roll.
- Top with chopped parsley, orange tomato, red cabbage and tzatziki sauce.
You can combine, swap and add additional ingredients to the gyros, change the spices, add different toppings and sauces; the sky is the limit. Also great to prepare the chicken like this on the BBQ!
The new Knorr Zero Stock Cubes are available in three flavour variants; Chicken, Beef and Vegetable in Tesco and Dunnes Stores nationwide at an RRP of €1.89.
Nutritional information (per serving)
Calories: 753 kcal, 3152 kJ | Protein: 63 g Carbohydrates: 91 g | Sugar: 11 g | Fat: 12 g Saturated fat: 3 g | fibre: 14 g | Salt: 3 g