Anything that works as a science experiment and a fun craft for kids to enjoy is a hit with us, and the following DIY project is sure to summon their inner crafter for hours of fun.
What you need:
- A few bars of clear, pure glycerine soap (can be purchased in the chemist or natural health shops)
- Ingredients of your choice – mint, lemon, essential oil for scent
- Mini figurines
- Food colouring
- Rubber moulds
- Vegetable oil
- Microwaveable dish
What to do:
- Take your bars of soap and cut them into small segments, place them into your microwaveable dish, and switch on. Check on the soap about every 20 seconds until completely melted.
- Take your moulds and, using a paintbrush, sweep the inside with some vegetable oil for lubrication.
- Now it’s time to get creative: if you want to make a naturally-scented soap, add a teaspoon of your natural ingredient of choice to the melted soap – shredded mint, orange rind, etc. Alternatively, you can add a few drops of essential oil – such as lavender – to the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into your moulds, and allow to set for about two hours.
- If you want to let your kids take full creative control, why not try adding anything from glitter to food colouring and mini deep sea creatures to the soap mixture? If you’re adding a figurine, a good tip is to place it into the mould first and then pour the mixture over it.
Images via Pinterest