We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day but do you struggle to get your child to eat breakfast in the mornings? According to statistics 1 in 4 children don’t eat any breakfast.
Well then why not try nutella. At first I struggled with the idea of serving a chocolate spread to my kids as part of their breakfast and so I decided to do a bit of research before trying it out. After reading the nutritional information and comparing it to other breakfast alternatives I found that a portion of nutella (15g or 2 teaspoons) actually contains less sugar than a bowl of most children’s breakfast cereals. And if you were to compare a slice of toast with nutella to a slice of toast with butter and jam you would find that a portion of nutella on toast contains less fat (3.5g less) and sugar (2.2g less) than jam and butter on toast (measured against a 15g portion of jam with 10g butter).
Nutella has launched a new website www.wakeuptonutella.com that offers a wonderful selection of creative ways to use nutella at breakfast time. These recipes are designed specifically for busy mums and so are easy to prepare. Recipes like nutella Super Smoothies are great recipes that you and your child can make together and will encourage your child to eat breakfast every morning. And with the Super Smoothies containing bananas and mixed berries they are a wonderful way of getting your child to have some fruit. When mixed with nutella children will love these delicious smoothies.
Why not try out some of nutella’s recipes below. The smoothies are an easy way to ensure that your child gets one of their five-a-day and the muffins can make for a delicious breakfast treat at the weekends.
Nutella Super Smoothie
Serves 6-8 depending on glass size
6 tbsp nutella
1 large pot (500g) low-fat vanilla yogurt
110ml skimmed milk
568ml/1 pint mixed fruit, frozen (tip into measuring jug)
1 large banana, cut into 2.5cm/1-inch pieces
1. Put all ingredients in a blender or put into bowl if using hand held blender and purée for 2 minutes or until smooth.
2. Pour into glasses. Garnish with fresh berries. Tip: experiment with different fruit such as an exotic mix or mixed berries
Nutella Banana Muffins Serves 10
2 ripe bananas
80g soft sunflower margarine
70g dark brown sugar
150g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla liquid (optional) nutella
1. Preheat the oven to 220 ° C (430°F). In a bowl, beat margarine and sugar until creamy. Add eggs and mashed bananas with a fork. Add the flour and baking powder and mix.
2. Grease a muffin pan or place muffin cases on a baking tray. Half fill each with mixture then top with a 1/4 teaspoon of nutella and finally top nutella with more mixture. Bake for 20 minutes.
3. Remove from oven and wait before turning out.