10 surprising household uses for toothpaste
There's one cheap product everybody owns that has lots of clever uses around the house: toothpaste.
Here are 10 ways how a simple tube of toothpaste can work wonders on those household chores.
1. Remove scuffs from shoes. A little toothpaste does an amazing job of removing scuffs from leather shoes. Just squirt a dab on the scuffed area and rub with a soft cloth. Wipe clean with a damp cloth, and the leather will look like new. This also works on cleaning and whitening the rubber part of trainers.
2. Clean your iron. The mild abrasive in non-gel toothpaste is just the ticket for scrubbing the gunk off the bottom plate of your clothes iron. Apply the toothpaste to the cool iron, scrub with a rag, then rinse clean.
3. De-fog bathroom mirrors. Coat the mirror with non-gel toothpaste and wipe it off before you get in the shower. When you get out, the mirror won’t be fogged.
4. Shine bathroom and kitchen chrome. They make commercial cleaners with a very fine abrasive designed to shine up chrome, but if you don’t have any handy, the fine abrasive in non-gel toothpaste works just as well. Just smear on the toothpaste and polish with a soft, dry cloth.
5. Clean the bathroom sink. Non-gel toothpaste works as well as anything else to clean the bathroom sink. The tube’s sitting right there, so just squirt some in, scrub with a sponge, and rinse it out. The toothpaste will also kill any odours from the drain trap.
6. Remove crayon from walls. Did your little one get creative on your wall? Grab a tube of non-gel toothpaste and a rag or scrub brush. Squirt the toothpaste on the wall and start scrubbing. The fine abrasive in the toothpaste will rub away the crayon every time. Rinse the wall with water.
7. Remove ink or lipstick stains from fabric . Put non-gel toothpaste on the stain and rub the fabric vigorously together. Rinse with water. Repeat the process a few more times until you get rid of all the ink. The same process works for lipstick.
8. Remove watermarks from furniture. To get rid of those tell-tale watermark rings left by sweating beverages, gently rub some non-gel toothpaste on the wood with a soft cloth. Then wipe it off with a damp cloth and let it dry before applying furniture polish.
9. Clean up scratched DVDs and CDs. Gently dab a small amount of toothpaste on the scratch with a cloth and buff from the centre of the disk outward from the rim. Rinse with water and dry with a microfibre cloth.
10. Clean smells from your hands. The ingredients in toothpaste that deodorise your mouth will work on your hands as well. If you’ve gotten into something stinky, wash your hands with toothpaste, and they’ll smell great.
Image via Pinterest.
We're on a mission to help our mums and their families thrive by informing, connecting and entertaining.
We promise never to share any other information that may be deemed personal unless you explicitly tell us it's ok.