As most gym bunnies know, gyms and exercise studios are generally awash with floor to ceiling mirrors.
While ostensibly there to ensure correct form and posture, the presence of these mirrors can bring most women on an emotional rollercoaster of epic proportions.
We're often reassured that if we look good then we're not working hard enough, but it would be nice to glance in the mirror at least once after we begin pumping iron and not experience a flurry of embarrassment or shock at our appearance.
Hands up if you've toned down your efforts in order to keep a somewhat normal-looking face as you get your burn on.
Don't worry, us too!
Here are ten thoughts we've all experienced when watching ourselves exercise.
1. What's the hold up? Why is this instructor always late?
Oooh, I look pretty nifty in these new pants. I knew they were a good purchase.
2. Urgh, just get started! You're eating into my Game of Throne time, man!
Look at the kettlebell at my feet and my snazzy new water bottle! If i didn't know me, I'd be jealous of me.
3. Ooh! Here we go! Jumping Jacks!
This bra is a joke. My life is a joke. This gym is a joke.
4. Oh God, burpees.
Why is no one else's face as red as mine? I should really see a doctor about this. I mean, my health is my wealth after all.
5. OK, swings. Time to cattch my breath and pull this session together.
What is that vein? How have I never noticed it before? I bet I'm known as 'The Woman With the Squiggly Vein' by everyone else here.
6. I wonder if everyone hates lunges as much as I do.
OK, so why do I look like a lamb on rollerskates and everyone else is lunging like they're made of springs, not bones?
7. Bicep curls! Let's do this!
I really must add 'Ability to look like a cross between the Hulk and a beaver' to my CV.
8. Why do my hair clips pin every strand except the ones that need it?
I need to buy shampoo when I leave. Shampoo and chocolate.
9. Squats. Why God, why?
Woah, I actually look exactly like my son when we tried to potty train him. I must tell his dad.
10. Did he just say good job?! Does that mean we're done?
Look at that sweat! Look at those bloodshot eyes! I nailed it.