- Trim the card stock to the desired size (ours measures 3 by 9-1/4 inches), and cut the white paper slightly smaller. Cut the photograph into a heart shape and glue it in place on the white paper, then use a marker to add the message and book list.
- Turn over the white paper and run glue around the outside edge, leaving 3-1/2 inches bare on one side. Press the sheet onto the card stock, then insert a gift card, as shown.
Handmade gifts for teachers
Cut a piece of ribbon long enough to wrap around and tie a bow, plus a little extra for the pen loops. Zigzag stitch the ribbon in measured spaces to accomodate pens and pencils (be sure to use the pen or pencil as a guide so it's the right size). Secure the rest of the ribbon to the book with a little pritstick or double-sized tape so it doesn't slip off.
- Empty, clean 28-ounce can
- 12- by 18-inch sheet of construction paper
- Small piece of white paper
- Coloured markers
- Glue stick
- Colour copy of a class photo
- Coloured plastic or craft tape
- 15-inch length of 20-gauge wire
- Gift card from an office supply store
- Carefully remove the can's label. Use it as a template to trace a rectangle on the construction paper. Cut out the rectangle, leaving some extra length to use as overlap.
- Cut out a small rectangle of white paper, write your message for the garden sign with marker, and glue it near the centre of the paper strip.
- Cut out the faces from the class photo and use the glue stick to adhere them to the paper strip in a random pattern. With coloured markers, draw a flower around each face, then add stems and leaves. Wrap the decorated paper strip around the can so that it overlaps, affixing the ends with glue stick.
- Cover the top and bottom rims of the can with the coloured tape, folding over the edges so they're hidden inside or under the can.
- Shape the wire into a spiral. Cut a 3- by 5-inch piece of construction paper. Wrap it around the gift card and secure it with the glue stick. Affix a cutout drawing or sticker to the seam. Place the wrapped card into the spiral holder and put it in the can with the pens and pencils.