Being a mum, sometimes telling the kids a little white lie is absolutely necessary (even though we constantly tell them that it's wrong...).
Whether it’s saying their nose will fall off if they keep picking it or that the park doesn’t open on a Tuesday, it usually comes out well before we've even realised we've said anything!
We asked MummyPages mums to share the funniest ones they've ever told their kids, and this is what they said:
1. Ann Harford: “I used to tell my girls that the lovely pink van that played music and parked outside our house sold potatoes.”
2. Ruby: “I tell her I have a bone in my leg when she wants me to go on the trampoline... It’s technically not a lie though!”
3. Victoria Curtis: “I didn't have any change for the tooth fairy one day so said she doesn’t work weekends - they waited until Monday!”
4. Amy Windler: “My mum told me that if I didn’t get out of the bath I'd go down the plughole. I had a fear of drains for a good few years after that - I refused to go swimming because the pool had drains.”
5. Amanda Farrell: “I told them that if wind changes while they were pulling a face it would stay like that...”
6. Rebecca Harbron Gray: “My friend told my son that eating sweet potatoes would make him fly! That took some unravelling!”
7. Becky Fitt: “A friend of mine told her kids that the internet closed at 7pm so that's when they had to get ready for bed. She was busted one night when she was sat using her tablet and her son came downstairs asking for a drink!”
8. Carrie Lockhart: “That the machines you find at the seaside for a pound a go (where you get a ball with a toy inside) were broken!”
9. Christine Ramsay: “I told my little girl to get out the bath so that the man downstairs could use the water... Every time we passed a drain she would look down to see if she could see the man...!”
10. Susan Edment: “I told my kids that they don't hurry up and get ready for school in the morning, we won't have time to take the car!”