Playdough is one of those ‘toys’ that gets messed up and mushed far too easily. Rather than running out to the toy shop every couple of weeks, wouldn’t it be great if you had an easy and cheap recipe for making your own? Well, you asked; you shall receive!
What you need:
- One saucepan (more, if you want to make different batches for different colours)
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup of water
- 1/3 cup of salt
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar (you’ll find this in the baking aisle of the supermarket)
- Food colouring, in various different shades
- Grease-proof paper
- Wooden spoon
What to do:
- If you’re making one batch of playdough, in one colour, use one saucepan; if you’re planning on making more than one colour of playdough, divide the mixture up into a few different pans, or just make them separately in one clean one.
- Add the salt, cream of tartar and flour into your saucepan to begin with, and stir together.
- Next, add in your vegetable oil.
- Turn on the heat, keeping it fairly low, and stir all of the ingredients together until the mixture takes on a solid form.
- Now it’s time to add in your food colouring! Gradually add in a few drops until you reach your preferred shade.
- Once the mixture is that bit thicker, take it off the heat and lay it out on greaseproof paper to cool. Now, it’s time to play!
- To store, place your playdough into a sealed container or plastic bag.
Images via Pinterest