Seachtain na Gaeilge atá ann! To celebrate our gorgeous mother-tongue, we have put together a list of na hainmneacha is áille agus neamhghnách (the most beautiful and unusual Irish names) for your little lad or lass born during Seachtain na Gaeilge!
For your cailín beag
- Liadan: meaning 'grey lady'. This can also be shortened to Lia which is just adorable.
- Dubheasa: pronounced Duv-asa. This name means 'dark princess of the waterfall' and would be a gorgeous choice for your little dark:haired beauty.
- Neala: pronounced Na-la. This name means champion as Gaeilge : ideal for your strong baby gal.
- Fiadh: pronounced Fee-ah. This beautiful name means 'wild' and might suit your free:spirited little girl.
- Isolde: pronounced Ee-sol-de. This name comes from a legendary love story between Irish princess, Isolde and a British prince, Tristan of Cornwall.
- Ceara: pronounced Key-ah-ra. This name means 'fiery red' and would be fab name for your little ginger queen!
- Rós: pronounced Roz. Rós means Rose in Irish…how pretty!
- Béibhinn: pronounced Bev-in. This name means ‘fair lady’.
- Síomha: pronounced Shee-va, this name means ‘peace’. Maybe calling your serene little girl Síomha will guarantee you a peaceful baby!
- Bríona: pronounced Bri-ona. This name means ‘brook’, a gorgeous nature option for your baby girl.
- Ceola: pronounced Key-ol-ah. This name comes from the Irish word for music, ceol.
- Éimí: pronounced Ay-mee. This name sounds a lot like the English name Amy, except that the emphasis is placed on the second syllable.
For your buachaill beag
- Sé: pronounced Shay. This name means noble, a perfect choice for your little prince.
- Bairre: pronounced Bar-ah, meaning 'fair haired'. This name would be so cute for your little fella born with golden locks.
- Caoilte: pronounced Kweel-teh. This name is a legendary Irish name hailing from Na Fianna mythology. The name means 'slender and warm'.
- Cuán: pronounced Koo-awn. This comes from the world Cú meaning hound.
- Conán: pronounced Ko-nan. This one means 'hound' or 'wolf'
- Éanna: pronounced Ay-nah. This name means bird like, a nature-inspired name for your little boy.
- Fiachra: pronounced Fee-a-kra. This strong Irish name means ‘Battle King’.
- Lughaidh: pronounced like the French name 'Louis'. This name comes from an Irish Celtic God of the sun called Lugh.
- Rúadhán: pronounced Roo-awn, another red-head name.
- Anraí: pronounced An-ree. This is the Irish version of the name Henry.
- Daithí: pronounced Thah-hee. Okay this one is not as unusual as the others however, its is one of our absolute fave Irish names. Imagine baby Daithí?? Ró-gleoite! (too cute)
- Brean: pronounced Brann. Brean is often short for Breandan, but we love the shortened version. This name means ‘prince’.