The summer holidays have snuck up on you, and you’ve just been too busy to plan a holiday with the family.
The kids are getting restless, and they’re not the only ones who need a change of scenery and some holiday fun.
Don’t panic - there’s still weeks of summer fun ahead, and it’s full of opportunities to find last minute deals for a quick family trip.
When booking a last minute holiday, keep these tips in mind to help you find deals, avoid the crowds, and make the most of your time away.
1. Travel at the right time. A sure way to beat some of the crowds and the traffic, is to avoid travelling at the weekend. If you can be flexible, travel between Tuesday and Thursday. It’s also a good idea to check what’s going on in the location you want to visit. Festivals, concerts, and local events all bring crowds and high rates, so you’ll want to plan accordingly.
2. If low-cost airfares aren't available, consider family-friendly resorts, B&Bs and hotels within driving distance. There are so many great holiday options - and those close to home are most likely to still have availability.
3. If you’ve got a specific hotel in mind, but don’t see any discounts or availability in their website, pick up the phone and give them a call directly. You may find that they’ve had cancellations or have an unadvertised special. If you belong to a travel club or airline mileage program, check for deals on family packages with them as well.
4. Buy tickets for attractions before you leave. There’s nothing worse than planning a last minute summer getaway, only to spend your time standing in queues with restless little ones. If there’s an attraction you know you don’t want to miss, buy tickets in advance.
5. If you're going to a popular resort for the holidays, where possible make your dinner and activity reservations before you arrive. If you want one of the prime family dining slots, book it early. Likewise, if you have your heart set on any special activities, such as horseback riding, golf or tennis, book these times in advance as well.
Image via Pinterest.