A newborn baby has tragically died after contracting a herpes virus from coming into contact with a cold sore.
Eloise Lampton passed away at Mackay Hospital in Queensland last week, despite being healthy at birth.
The baby, born on November 1st, alarmed doctors when her health started to deteriorate shortly after her birth.
After placing her on a life support machine, doctors discovered that Eloise had contracted a herpes virus.
Her shocked parents were naturally devastated by the revelation that their baby had developed the virus from a cold sore.
In an interview with the Daily Mail, mum Sarah Pugh said: “I was devastated to know she was born healthy and then this happened…It was passed on through a cold sore. You have to be in contact – kissed or touched. We didn’t have any visitors. It could have been from anyone.”
While parents Sarah and Douglas hoped and prayed the Eloise would pull through to fight off the virus, they were dealt another blow when she caught a staph infection in her blood.
After informing her heartbroken parents that there was nothing more they could do for Eloise, doctors took her off life support, and she died in her mother’s arms.
Sarah and Douglas have chosen to share their story in the hope of raising awareness of the health risks posed to newborn babies.