As parents, it is so important to be aware of the signs and symptoms of meningitis, and this heartbreaking story highlights this in the most devastating way.
A family in the UK have shared their heartbreak after their four-month-old baby died from meningitis, just 12 hours after laughing for the first time.
Little Evan Summerfield raised concern among his family after taking ill with a high temperature. During a trip to the doctor, Evan’s parents were informed by doctors that their little one had a virus. They were prescribed medicine and told to return if his condition worsened.
Parents Kris and Shannon returned home and put Evan to bed, however he awoke the next morning with a rash running from his head to his belly button.
After performing the ‘glass tumbler test’ on him, Evan’s grandmother called emergency services, and he was rushed to hospital.
Tragically, Evan had developed meningococcal septicaemia, and doctors were unable to save his life.
Commenting after the family’s devastating loss, grandmother Sarah said: “We’re so confused how fast this horrible nasty illness just takes hold. One moment he was laughing and smiling and then, it seems like in a heartbeat, he was so cruelly taken away.”
The family have since set up a fund-raising page to raise money for Evan’s funeral, and Sarah has revealed that all extra money is set to be donated to the Meningitis Research Foundation.
“We’re so grateful to everyone, people have been so kind. We also want to warn people to be vigilant – it’s just shocking. There is a vaccine available now which hasn’t been licensed yet because there are debates over price. But how can you put a price on life? It’s sickening,” she added.