Is it teething time for your little one?
One of the biggest changes in society in Ireland over the last few decades has undoubtedly been the increased participation of women in the workforce outside the home.
For most women, having a job outside the home and balancing this with motherhood is a fact of life. But how are Irish mums coping with this? A recent study conducted on behalf of Proctor & Gamble Ireland (makers of Pampers nappies, Ariel washing powder and Fairy liquid) highlighted that over 40% of Irish mums feel they have less than an hour of 'me time' each day. Whether this has changed substantially from previous generations is unclear - every generation has had its own challenges - but, as every working mother knows, less time at home doesn't mean less work to do at home!
The study highlights the progress made possible by adopting time-saving technologies in our daily lives (yes, those things we now take for granted), but while it's without doubt that those same technologies have contributed to the increased workforce participation by women, these same technologies don't and can't do everything. So what else is happening? Of the mum's surveyed, 56% said that their husbands take a greater role in maintaining the home than would have been the case in their own mum's generation. Pity about the other 44%! In addition, some 40% of mums say that their kids' grandparents play a role in family support.
What's the lesson? There is always something else to do, whether you're a mum working outside the home or not. Insist on 'me time' and take it easy once in a while.



Hello Mama!
Help us help you by allowing us and our partners to remember your device as having browsed MummyPages and serve you better content and ads

We're on a mission to help our mums and their families thrive by informing, connecting and entertaining.

Join us in our mission by consenting to the use of cookies and IP address recognition by us and our partners to serve you content (including ads) best suited to your interests, both here and around the web.

We promise never to share any other information that may be deemed personal unless you explicitly tell us it's ok.

If you want more info, see our privacy policy.