Is it teething time for your little one?

 

There is nothing quite like kicking back with a good book, with some soothing music playing and a scented candle burning on the table. If you agree with our idea of a blissful afternoon spent at home, you might want to arm yourself with the following information.

 

Researchers in the US have caused alarm this week, after publishing a study which connects scented candles with cancer.

 

According to the study, burning certain scented candles could release toxic levels of formaldehyde – a known carcinogen – into the atmosphere.

 

The research team, from the National Centre for Atmospheric Science at the University of York, discovered that limonene – commonly used to create citrus-scented candles – actually mutates into formaldehyde when it hits the air.

 

The concentrations of limonene in scented candles were found to be up to 100 times higher than previously thought, and with one in every two molecules released mutating, researchers believe that this is posing a potentially serious health risk.

 

Led by Professor Alastair Lewis, the study did find that the harmful formaldehyde molecules can be absorbed by certain household plants including ivy and dragon trees.

90 Shares

Latest

Trending

Hello Mama!
Help us help you by allowing us and our partners to remember your device as having browsed MummyPages and serve you better content and ads

We're on a mission to help our mums and their families thrive by informing, connecting and entertaining.

Join us in our mission by consenting to the use of cookies and IP address recognition by us and our partners to serve you content (including ads) best suited to your interests, both here and around the web.

We promise never to share any other information that may be deemed personal unless you explicitly tell us it's ok.

If you want more info, see our privacy policy.