As every mum will know, when faced with an inconvenient injury as a result of an accident, it can be hard to find the time to take proper care of yourself so as to ensure a speedy and complete recovery. The Injuries Board, the state body that assesses personal injury claims and makes awards relating to motor, employer and public liability accidents, has set out a number of guidelines to assist in making a recovery and perhaps preventing similar accidents occurring in the future.
1. As soon as possible after sustaining a personal injury, seek medical advice by visiting your GP or the appropriate medical specialist.
2. Talk to your doctor about any concerns you have about your injury as this will help recovery.
3. Try and maintain a healthy diet as the correct nutrition will help your recovery.
4. Depending on the nature and extent of your injury, you may require time off work. Ensure that you follow the guidance of your medical practitioner in this regard so that your injury has fully healed and you are fit to return to work.
5. Build up your activity levels gradually, be realistic about what you can achieve and always follow the instructions of your treating medical practitioner before resuming any strenuous physical activities.
6. Keep a positive outlook during the recovery process as this is an important aid.
The Injuries Board can be contacted on Lo-Call helpline 1890 829 121 between 8am and 8pm, Monday to Friday, by logging on to www.injuriesboard.ie
, by post at InjuriesBoard.ie, P.O. Box 8, Clonakilty, Co Cork, or on the Board’s new smartphone app.