The main purpose of facial serums is to get added nutrients into deeper layers of your skin that a regular moisturiser is not able to reach. Moisturisers have large molecules, so can only penetrate the first layer of the skin, allowing them to hydrate and seal in moisture. A facial serum has small molecules, so can get deep into the skin’s layers. The serums ability to go deeper into the skin is what allows it to help combat many common skin ailments.
When choosing a serum it is important to to take the following into consideration:
- Read the labels to choose one best for your complexion
- Keep your skin type in mind, know whether it is oily, dry, combination or sensitive
- Know what you want to serum to do for example:
- To prevent aging – use a serum with retinol (commonly referred to as vitamin A)
- To nourish skin - look for one with hyaluronic acid