We love eyelash extensions! They are a fun and semi-permanent way to get longer, bolder lashes. They are a favourite of many celebrities and women who want beautiful lashes to complement their eyes when mascara just isn’t doing enough for them. Also, mascara can have drawbacks, such as smudging, having to take it off every night and the need to reapply. Extensions take away the hassle associated with mascara and can help you cut time out of your beauty routine.
What are eyelash extensions?
Eyelash extensions are artificial lashes that are bonded with adhesive one by one to your natural lashes. They are applied using tweezers and there is no direct contact with your eyelid or skin. They differ from false eyelashes and a trained professional must apply them in order to get correct application. The process of applying eyelash extensions can take up to two hours. They can last from four to six weeks, and touch-ups are required.
- Eyelash extensions are not meant to get wet within 24 hours of application; if this happens the glue that’s holding them onto the natural lash may not take. Therefore, for extra lash protection, if you are going swimming after getting eyelash extensions, it is recommended to wear goggles.
- When using makeup remover, makeup and creams on your eyelash extensions, oil-free versions should be used.
- It’s important to be gentle with your eyes if you have lash extensions. Try and sleep on your back if possible as putting face into the pillow can cause the lashes to fall out. Stay away from eyelash curlers, as they can cause the eyelashes to bend and sometimes break.
- Lash extensions may not be right for you if you rub your eyes often, especially if you suffer from itchy eyes due to allergies. You can't rub your eyes with extensions or it could disturb the bond, ruining your lash application.
- They also need to be removed by a professional. Some people have reported a risk of temporarily having less natural eyelashes after removal of eyelash extensions. In this case, you will have to wait several weeks for your own lashes to grow back. This loss of eyelashes can be prevented by proper application and care.