Is it teething time for your little one?
You asked

Is it true that Christmas trees can trigger allergies?

While freshly cut trees that are brought into the home do not contain pollen, mould grows all over the Christmas tree. Other decorations and indoor plants that get watered contain mould and spores. Trees are bigger than regular plants, so when one is brought inside, the concentration of spores will be higher. The spores are airborne, so they will quickly travel throughout the house.

To minimise the concentration of mould on the Christmas tree, it should be treated with a leaf blower or washed off with a very mild bleach solution, before bringing it inside the house. It has been found that a room containing a freshly cut Christmas tree for two weeks, has five times the normal level of mould present. This can cause allergic rhinitis and asthma symptoms for anyone in the house prone to allergic reactions.

It is better to use artificial trees and decorations over the festive season of there are people in the house with allergies. If you want to minimise the risk of airborne spores and mould irritating normal people, then only keep the tree inside for a week. Artificial trees and decorations can be dusty, especially if they have been in storage. These should be wiped clean before use, since the dust will also house spores and mould.

More questions

Once you have established your toddler has a slight fever, there are a number of measures you can take to keep it under control
If your toddler has a slight fever, there are a number of measures you can take to keep it under control.
The average body temperature should be between 35°C and 37°C.
While a fever can be treated, it's important to keep in mind that fevers are usually the symptom of an illness and not the illness itself.
A body’s temperature is controlled by a part of the brain called the hypothalamus.
Getting norovirus cannot always be avoided, but good hygiene can help limit the spread of the virus...
All about how to deal with the winter vomiting bug...
All about how to treat the winter vomiting bug...
The first sign of norovirus is usually a abrupt feeling of nausea followed by sick feeling, followed by forceful vomiting and watery diarrhoea.
Norovirus is more commonly known as the winter vomiting bug.



Hello Mama!
Help us help you by allowing us and our partners to remember your device as having browsed MummyPages and serve you better content and ads

We're on a mission to help our mums and their families thrive by informing, connecting and entertaining.

Join us in our mission by consenting to the use of cookies and IP address recognition by us and our partners to serve you content (including ads) best suited to your interests, both here and around the web.

We promise never to share any other information that may be deemed personal unless you explicitly tell us it's ok.

If you want more info, see our privacy policy.