As a parent, it is your responsibility to make sure that your child is not headed down this dangerous road. Whether you have a toddler, an older child, or are pregnant, there are things you can do now that will help protect your child from the dangers of being obese.
• Have a healthy pregnancy. Make sure that your weight gain during pregnancy is in the normal range and eat a healthy diet.
• Breast feed if you can. A breast fed baby is less likely to grow up overweight as a baby who is not breast fed.
• When it’s time to eat solid food, offer your child a variety of nutritious foods.
• Offer toddlers healthy choices and pay close attention to portion size.
• Never use food as a reward.
• Encourage good habits when it comes to exercise and proper nutrition.
• Be a role model to your child by eating healthy and exercising.