You asked

What should I do if my child gets an electric shock?

If your child receives an electric shock, the result can be minor or extremely damaging. When electrical current is touched, it travels through the body looking for a place to exit. Along the way, the current can damage everything in its path. Depending on the strength and type of the current and the length of exposure, the shock can cause a mild jolt, various levels of burn, or serious internal injuries.

When a child is shocked, they can have burns, numbness, muscle contractions, pain, weakness, headaches, or problems hearing. If the shock is strong enough, a child can be rendered unconscious and stop breathing. They can also have seizures, cardiac arrest, brain damage, heart damage, or damage to other organs. Death can also rapidly occur in a severe shock.

If your child is shocked and you witness it, immediately shut off the source of the electricity by unplugging the cord, turning off circuit breakers, or removing the fuse from the fuse box. The source must be removed before your child can be touched. If it is not possible to remove the source, use a non-metallic object to separate the electrical source from your child. For instance, if your child is holding a metal pole, use a broom handle or rolled up magazine to knock his hand away from the pole before you touch him.

Check your child’s breathing and begin CPR if required. Have someone call emergency services at the same time, or if you have nobody available, call them yourself after administering CPR for two minutes.

If your child is breathing, look at his skin colour. If he is very pale, call for emergency help and monitor his breathing.

Check for skin that looks burned. If burns are present, do not put ice or ointment on them. Your child should be taken to the hospital unless you are certain that the burn is very minor and no other damage is present. In the case of minor burns, call your child’s doctor. The doctor will clean and dress the burns and make sure that there is no internal damage. If internal damage is suspected, your child will have lab tests and may even require hospitalisation.

More questions

If a cut is too severe to treat at home then it is important to take your child to A&E or to your GP as stitches may be required. Go straight to the A&E if the cut is to an artery or if the bleeding will not stop.
The wound should heal itself in a few days. If the wound is painful, you can take painkillers, such as paracetamol or ibuprofen.
Generally speaking, most cuts and grazes are minor and can be easily treated at home.
There are lots of different dressings for minor burns and scalds. There is no particular dressing that works better than others, the important thing is to keep your burn clean and covered with a dressing.
The severity of a burn is determined by a healthcare professional based on how badly the skin is damaged.
A child’s skin is thinner and more sensitive than that of an adult so a burn can be more serious.
Although a bee sting can be painful, it is usually fairly harmless.
Electric shocks can be serious or minor so how do you know what to do?
Toddlers often get bruises but when should you be concerned?
Accidental poisoning happens when children get their hands on unsuspectingly hazardous items lying around the house. Ensure you thoroughly inspect every room of your house!

Latest

Trending

Hello Mama!
Help us help you by allowing us and our partners to remember your device as having browsed MummyPages and serve you better content and ads

We're on a mission to help our mums and their families thrive by informing, connecting and entertaining.

Join us in our mission by consenting to the use of cookies and IP address recognition by us and our partners to serve you content (including ads) best suited to your interests, both here and around the web.

We promise never to share any other information that may be deemed personal unless you explicitly tell us it's ok.

If you want more info, see our privacy policy.