A brave schoolboy twice beat leukaemia but died from a lung infection caused by building work at a children’s hospital, an inquest has heard.
Jamie Cartwright - aged 9-  had battled leukaemia since 2006 but had gone into remission after undergoing chemotherapy.
He suffered a relapse in 2012 but recovered again after a bone marrow transplant from his older brother Aaron.
Jamie then suffered complications and went back to Birmingham Children's Hospital in the UK on a number of occasions after building work had started at the A&E Department.
The hearing was told dust had contributed to Jamie’s death after causing a fungal lung infection.
The hospital was criticised for failing to protect ‘vulnerable’ patients.
Recording a narrative verdict Coroner Louise Hunt said, “He contracted the infection from building work which was being undertaken near to the ward and outpatients clinic, where he was being treated.
“There was a failure to consult the department where patients were particularly at risk and a failure to undertake a risk assessment or act to minimise the risk. These failures contributed to Jamie’s death.”
The little boy then died from a brain haemorrhage caused by brain abscesses, in turn caused by the lung infection.
His devastated family issued a statement after the hearing this week saying, “We are pleased with the narrative verdict which acknowledges that the Trust’s failure contributed to Jamie’s death and that the Trust has taken action to improve the system for dealing with building work at the hospital.
“We hope that the steps are far reaching and properly adhered to in order to prevent vulnerable immuno-compromised children from being treated in an unsafe environment in the future.”
Jamie’s mum Vicki Cartwright had said she had noticed dust in corridors but when she raised concerns had been reassured that there was no danger.
Jamie was found to have the life threatening Aspergillus lung infection following a chest X-ray and CT scan and was admitted to intensive care. But despite treatment he passed away on August 7th last year.
After the inquest a spokesperson from Birmingham Children’s Hospital said, “Everyone at the hospital is devastated by the death of Jamie. When any child passes away at our hospital, we always examine their care to see if there is anything we could have done to prevent it.
"In Jamie’s case, we recognise that there is a possibility that he could have been exposed to the aspergillus spores.
“I totally understand why Jamie’s family feel that we let them down, but hope they can take some small comfort from the fact we have taken every step possible to learn from our involvement in Jamie’s care and his tragic death.”
Our thoughts are with Jamie's family at this heartbreaking time.