Parents have been reminded to ensure their children’s safety by stabilising and securing TV sets in the home.

 

The advice comes from a coroner in Australia, following the death of two-year-old Jasmine Lilian Cammilleri.

 

Jasmine died after climbing up a cabinet and accidentally pulling a 37-inch LED TV down on herself.

 

 

The tot’s mother had left her alone to watch cartoons for a few minutes. Just days previously, Ms Cammilleri had pushed the TV back to the wall, in the hopes that it would be better for Jasmine’s eyes.

 

The mum was alerted to a scream, and when she re-entered the room she found her daughter lying on the floor with the TV across her chest.

 

The TV, which had been unsecured on the cabinet, inflicted a fatal injury to Jasmine’s chest.

 

 

Yesterday, in court, the coroner shared her findings and advice for the wider public.

 

“Whilst Ms Cammilleri’s intention had been to make it safer for Jasmine, in retrospect it may have ended up creating a space in front of the television set, with enough room for Jasmine to climb on,” she said.

 

Deeming the tragic accident ‘preventable’, she urged parents: “Whilst anchoring a television set to a fixed point does not replace direct adult supervision in the case of young children, it is a safety measure that ought to be pursued.”

Latest

Trending

Hello Mama!
Help us help you by allowing us and our partners to remember your device as having browsed MummyPages and serve you better content and ads

We're on a mission to help our mums and their families thrive by informing, connecting and entertaining.

Join us in our mission by consenting to the use of cookies and IP address recognition by us and our partners to serve you content (including ads) best suited to your interests, both here and around the web.

We promise never to share any other information that may be deemed personal unless you explicitly tell us it's ok.

If you want more info, see our privacy policy.