Children’s Code Consultation
Broadcasting Authority of Ireland
2-5 Warrington Place
- 1-4 primary school children and 1 in 5 teenagers aged 12 -17 years are overweight or obese.
- Overweight and obesity are themselves risk factors for cardiovascular disease - the leading cause of death in Ireland among all ages and accounting for about 2,000 premature deaths.
- Irish children and young people are showing early signs of other risk factors such as increasing levels of blood pressure, cholesterol and higher blood sugar/insulin levels, leading to Type 2 diabetes.
- Overall the diet of Irish children is high in fat, sugar and salt.
- Most of the foods advertised to children are high in fat, sugar and salt, contrasting sharply with the recommended diet.
- There is robust and compelling evidence which links the marketing of food HFSS to children and specifically television advertising to poor diets and obesity.